Home » Archive by categorytax issues

How to Make a Tax Return from Financial Statements

Financial statements are the annual record of the business’s revenue and expenses for the year. They are usually divided into two parts: an income statement which reflects the business’s net income, and a balance sheet which demonstrates the capital resources and liabilities of the business all important regarding tax refunds. This includes both short-term and long-term assets and liabilities such as cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable and notes payable.

If you are a self-employed specific conducting business as a single proprietor, you will have to prepare an Agenda C for your tax return which is the summation of your business income and expenditures.

Preparing an Individual Schedule C

  • Prepare the Schedule C, which is the record of your business income and bills by using the totals from the year-end income and loss declaration. The Program C has brand items for some income and expense items. For instance, in the income section, the proper execution will ask for gross income. This can be found at the very best of your financial assertions. The same applies for expenditures. If your business comes with an expense item that is not shown on the IRS form, you can list it as an “other” expense in the bottom of the form.
  • There are several supporting schedules that must be mounted on the return that provide supporting detail to some of the trouble items shown on Routine C, such as depreciation expense and car and truck bills. Your bookkeeper or accountant should be able to provide the aspect associated with the deductions for these items.
Continue reading

Teen jobs and tax issues

tax issues

A teen’s tax return processing requirements rely upon his / her position as a reliant as well as on the total amount and kind of their income. Even if a teen isn’t required to document their own tax return, it may be good for do so. A discussion about taxes can be a great stepping stone to your teen’s broader financial education.

Teen Jobs and Tax Issues 

Next, you need to check out her income, both the amount and type.  Here’s where it gets more complicated because there will vary guidelines and income limitations for won income from employment, unearned income from dividends, interest or investment gains–or a mixture of both

For Earned Income Only

This is fairly straightforward. A dependent who does not have unearned income only must file a separate tax go back if gained income is above the standard deduction–$6,300 for 2015. So if your child earned significantly less than that, she wouldn’t have to document.

But it could be a good idea to do it anyhow. If her workplace withheld federal income tax, she might be eligible for a refund. You don’t want her to lose out on that. Plus, from the good learning experience.

For Unearned Income Only

Unearned income is some other story. If a child has unearned income above $1,050 for 2015, a tax return is required. But when interacting with unearned income only, you can pick to either record a separate come back for your son or daughter or include that income on your own go back. One caveat: If you include …

Continue reading